We don’t favour further likelihood to civil service aspirants: Centre to SC


Tribune News Service

New Delhi, January 22

The Centre told the Supreme Court on Friday that it was against giving an extra chance to civil services aspirants who could not appear in their last attempt in the examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) last year due to the pandemic.

Hearing on ex-IPS officer’s plea put off

The Supreme Court on Friday deferred to January 27 hearing on former IPS Sanjiv Bhatt’s plea to suspend his life sentence in a three-decade-old custodial death case as his advocate-on-record said the senior advocate — who was to argue the matter — was indisposed.

Sonu Sood moves SC against HC order

Bollywood actor Sonu Sood moved the Supreme Court on Friday, challenging a Bombay High Court order dismissing his petition against a BMC notice over alleged illegal construction at his residential building in Juhu area of Mumbai, his counsel Vineet Dhanda said.

Additional Solicitor General SV Raju told a Bench, headed by Justice AM Khanwilkar, on behalf of the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) that the government was not ready to give one more chance to candidates who could not appear in the 2020 civil services exam due to the situation created by the pandemic.

“We are not ready to give one more chance. Give me the time to file an affidavit,” Raju told the Bench which asked the Centre to file an affidavit to this effect and posted it for hearing on January 25. The petitioners have sought an extra attempt for candidates who exhausted their last attempt in October 2020 Prelims or those who couldn’t appear in the examination due to the pandemic.

The Centre had on December 18 told the told court that it was discussing with the UPSC the issue of granting another chance to civil services aspirants, especially those who exhausted their last attempt in October 2020 Prelims.

“It’s under active consideration of the Centre and the UPSC. We are not taking an adversarial stand,” Solicitor General Tushar Mehta told the court. On behalf of the petitioners, senior counsel Mukul Rohatgi had said the court should direct the Centre to grant an extra chance to students considering the difficulties on account of Covid-19. On September 30, the top court had asked the Centre and the UPSC to consider granting an extra chance to candidates who otherwise had their last attempt in 2020, with a corresponding extension in the upper age-limit. The DoPT had on October 26 informed the court that the issue was under the consideration of the authorities concerned.



Be the first to comment on "We don’t favour further likelihood to civil service aspirants: Centre to SC"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: