Punjab tops nation in over-exploitation of groundwater


Vijay Mohan

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, September 15

The over-exploitation of groundwater sources is the best in Punjab amongst all different states within the nation. The extraction of groundwater is rising within the agrarian state, authorities knowledge has revealed.

In Punjab, 79 per cent of the evaluation items confirmed the annual groundwater extraction to be greater than the assessed annual extractable groundwater sources, in line with data positioned by the Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation within the ongoing session of the Rajya Sabha. This determine was 76 per cent final 12 months.

Punjab is adopted by Delhi with 65 per cent and Rajasthan with 63 per cent. In Haryana, 61 per cent of the evaluation items have been being over-exploited. While over-exploitation of groundwater is the best on this area, there are lots of states and union territories the place there is no such thing as a over-exploitation.

Irrigation accounts for over 96 per cent of groundwater use in Punjab. A serious cause for over-exploitation of groundwater is the largescale cultivation of paddy in Punjab, which is water-intensive and the dependence on groundwater over canal or river water in lots of components of the state.

Monsoon is a vital consider recharge of groundwater. The rains in Punjab this season have been 10 per cent under the lengthy interval common up to now. From June 1 to September 14, the state acquired 391.three mm in opposition to the traditional of 437.2 mm, in line with the India Meteorological Department.

The Ministry of Jal Shakti has constituted a committee underneath the Central Ground Water Board (CGWB) for recent evaluation of dynamic groundwater sources within the nation for 2020 in collaboration with the states and UTs. Earlier, such assessments have been performed in 2013 and 2017.

According to a CGWB official, the wheat and paddy cropping sample in Punjab has led to manifold improve in demand for water. About 90 per cent of the state’s space is underlain by quaternary alluvial deposits which can be essential sources of considerable and reliable groundwater provides that are being exploited.

Though there is no such thing as a proposal to limit using groundwater within the agriculture sector, central and state authorities are regulating the groundwater use by industries and mining tasks. As per the ministry’s evaluation, the annual groundwater extraction for all makes use of is 249 billion cubic metres, out of which 89 per cent is utilised for irrigation and the remaining 11 per cent for industrial and home use.

 



Be the first to comment on "Punjab tops nation in over-exploitation of groundwater"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: