New Delhi, August 21
The Sports Ministry on Friday determined in opposition to bestowing the Arjuna award on former Khel Ratna winners Sakshi Malik and Mirabai Chanu, pruning the listing to 27 however accepted an unprecedented 5 suggestions for the nation’s highest sporting honour this 12 months.
Last week, the Justice (retd) Mukundakam Sharma-led choice committee had really useful 29 names for the Arjuna Award to the Sports Ministry.
The listing additionally included Rio Olympics bronze medal-winning wrestler Sakshi and 2017 weightlifting world champion Mirabai, however the determination on bestowing the Arjuna on them was left to the discretion of Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju.
This was as a result of the truth that they’d already received the Khel Ratna, the nation’s highest sporting honour.
The unusual determination to incorporate their names raised eyebrows and attracted criticism.
While Sakshi received the Khel Ratna in 2016 for her bronze in Rio, Mirabai was bestowed with the distinguished honour in 2018, after her exploits on the world championships the earlier. The 5 Khel Ratna winners for this 12 months could be star cricketer Rohit Sharma, wrestler Vinesh Phogat, Paralympic gold-winner Mariyappan Thangavelu, TT participant Manika Batra, and girls’s hockey staff captain Rani Rampal, the ministry confirmed in a proper press launch.
The standards for the awards think about the athletes’ performances over a four-year interval.
A considerable 80 per cent weight is given to athletes successful medals at numerous worldwide competitions with the remaining 20 per cent left to the discretion of the panel members.
Paddler Manika Batra’s advice for the Khel Ratna raised doubts as she has not received something of word for the reason that Arjuna award on the again of her exploits on the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast.
During this era, her world rating has slipped to 63, however the ministry determined in opposition to rejecting her advice.
The advice of Rani Rampal additionally raised questions regardless that she helped the Indian hockey staff safe a berth on the Tokyo Olympics, apart from main the staff into the ultimate of the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta, the place it misplaced to Japan 1-2.
The sports activities fraternity, although, lauded the Arjuna advice of Winter Olympic Games legend Shiva Keshavan, who has represented India six occasions within the luge occasion on the Games from 1998 to 2018.
Keshavan has received innumerable medals for India on the worldwide degree and has a number of world and Asian data to his identify.
With the sports activities ministry urgent for recognition to indigenous sport, the Arjuna Award listing additionally included an athlete from kho-kho (Sudhakar Sarika Kale).
In a primary, the awards will likely be held nearly on August 29, the National Sports Day, as an alternative of the Rashtrapati Bhavan this 12 months as a result of COVID-19 pandemic.
The ceremony will likely be held region-wise. Chandigarh has been choosen for Northern area. Sports Authority of India is prone to make preparations for the occasion at UT Administration Complex constructing in at Sector 9. PTI/TNS
List of awards:
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
Rohit Sharma (Cricket), Mariyappan T. (Para Athletics), , Manika Batra (Table Tennis), Vinesh (Wrestling), Rani (Hockey)
Dharmendra Tiwary (Archery), Purushotham Rai (Athletics), Shiv Singh (Boxing), Romesh Pathania (Hockey), Krishan Kumar Hooda (Kabaddi), Vijay Bhalchandra Munishwar (Para Powerlifting), Naresh Kumar (Tennis), Om Parkash Dahiya (Wrestling).
Jude Felix Sebastian (Hockey), Yogesh Malviya (Mallakhamb), Jaspal Rana (Shooting), Kuldeep Kumar Handoo (Wushu), Gaurav Khanna (Para Badminton)
Atanu Das (Archery), Dutee Chand (Athletics), Satwik Sairaj Rankireddy (Badminton), Chirag Chandrasekhar Shetty (Badminton), Vishesh Bhriguvanshi (Basketball), Subedar Manish Kaushik (Boxing), Lovlina Borgohain (Boxing), Ishant Sharma (Cricket), Deepti Sharma (Cricket), Sawant Ajay Anant (Equestrian), Sandesh Jhingan (Football), Aditi Ashok (Golf), Akashdeep Singh (Hockey), Deepika (Hockey), Deepak (Kabaddi), Kale Sarika Sudhakar (Kho Kho), Dattu Baban Bhokanal (Rowing), Manu Bhaker (Shooting), Saurabh Chaudhary (Shooting), Madhurika Suhas Patkar (Table Tennis), Divij Sharan (Tennis), Shiva Keshavan (Winter Sports), Divya Kakran (Wrestling), Rahul Aware (Wrestling), Suyash Narayan Jadhav (Para Swimming), Sandeep Para (Athletics) Manish Narwal (Para Shooting)
Dhyan Chand Award
Kuldip Singh Bhullar (Athletics), Jincy Philips (Athletics), Pradeep Shrikrishna Gandhe (Badminton), Trupti Murgunde (Badminton), N. Usha (Boxing), Lakha Singh (Boxing), Sukhvinder Singh Sandhu (Football), Ajit Singh (Hockey), Manpreet Singh (Kabaddi), J. Ranjith Kumar (Para Athletics), Satyaprakash Tiwari (Para Badminton), Manjeet Singh (Rowing), Late Shri Sachin Nag (Swimming), Nandan P Bal (Tennis), Netarpal Hooda (Wrestling).