Gang-raped and left paralysed, Hathras lady dies in Delhi hospital a fortnight later

New Delhi, September 29

A 19-year-old Dalit rape victim, who was gang raped and left paralysed by four upper caste men, died a fortnight after the attack in a Delhi hospital on Tuesday.

The family of the girl informed that she died around 3 am, Superintendent of Police, Hathras, Vikrant Vir, said.

She was shifted to the Safdarjung Hospital in the national capital on Monday evening after her condition deteriorated.

On September 14, the victim was dragged by the dupatta around her neck to a field when she had gone to collect cattle fodder, which injured her spinal cord. When she was held down, she apparently bit her own tongue which caused a deep cut Fakhrul Hoda, head of neurosurgery at the Aligarh hospital where she was being treated, told reporters that: “Surgery to fix her spine could only have been done after her condition improved.  The damage to the spinal cord appeared to be permanent.”

Also read: 

Bhim Army protests at Safdarjung Hospital, demands death penalty for Hathras gang-rape culprits

Assured all possible assistance to family of Hathras gangrape victim: NCW

You are accountable for safety of women in UP: Priyanka to Adityanath

Matter of shame for country, govts: Kejriwal on Hathras incident

The victim, youngest of five siblings, was on life support for sometime. The girl was referred to Delhi on Monday on her father’s request. Her brother accompanied her to Delhi.

A week after she was hospitalised, the girl told the police that she had been raped by four men whom she also named.

All four accused she named — Sandip, Ramu, Lavkush and Ravi — were arrested for gang rape, attempt to murder and under Sections of the SC/ST Act.

Her father had told reporters on Sunday that the families of the four accused have been threatening them for speaking out. The girl had also told her family that the four men had threatened her with dire consequences if she informed anyone about the incident.


Be the first to comment on "Gang-raped and left paralysed, Hathras lady dies in Delhi hospital a fortnight later"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


%d bloggers like this: