New Delhi, May 28
Kidambi Srikanth and Saina Nehwal’s slim hopes of qualifying for the Tokyo Games ended after the game’s governing body (BWF) today made it clear there will not be any changes in the current ranking list and no further tournament will be held inside the qualification period.
Former world No. 1 Srikanth and London Games bronze medallist Saina’s hopes were all but dashed when the last of the Olympics qualifiers in Singapore was cancelled due to the pandemic. The duo had hung on a slim hope when the governing body said it “will issue a further statement on the Tokyo Olympics qualifying at a later date”. “The Badminton World Federation (BWF) can confirm no further tournaments will be played inside the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games qualifying window,” the apex body said in a statement today. “As such, while the qualification period officially closes June 15 as per the rvised Tokyo 2020 qualification system, the current ‘Race to Tokyo’ rankings list will not change.”
Owing to the health crisis, the world body had earlier revised the qualification period, extending it by nearly two months to June 15 after postponement of three important events. However, with no respite from the pandemic, BWF was forced to cancel or postpone the last three qualifiers — India Open, Malaysia Open and Singapore Open, leaving players, including Srikanth and Saina, with no chance to earn a qualification. — PTI