Federer out of Australian Open


MELBOURNE, December 28

Six-time champion Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Australian Open as he continues to work his way back to fitness from two knee operations earlier this year, his agent said.

The 39-year-old Swiss last played a competitive match at the season-opening Grand Slam in January before he had to undergo surgery on his knee. He later required a second operation.

The start of the 2021 Australian Open has been delayed for three weeks until February 8 due to the country’s strict border rules to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Federer, who had been training at his off-season base in Dubai, had told organisers that the delayed start to the tournament could benefit him. However, his agent Tony Godsick said Federer was not quite ready to return.

Nagal receives wildcard

Five-time Australian Open finalist Andy Murray has been given a wildcard entry into the first Grand Slam tournament of next year. India’s Sumit Nagal was awarded wildcard from the Asia-Pacific. — Agencies



Be the first to comment on "Federer out of Australian Open"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: