Barcelona to sue newspaper for outing Messi’s € 555m contract


BARCELONA, January 31

Barcelona said today they will take legal action against Spanish newspaper El Mundo for publishing Lionel Messi’s contract with the club.

El Mundo published full details of the deal Messi penned with Barca in 2017 until June 2021.

The report said the contract, which was previously described by French newspaper L’Equipe as the most lucrative in football, had contributed to the club’s recent financial troubles, which have been exacerbated by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Barca’s last accounts showed their net debt had doubled to € 488 million, while the club’s interim president Carles Tusquets said recently they had been forced to delay payments to players.

Messi’s contract most expensive

Messi’s most recent contract with Barcelona is worth up to € 555 million over four seasons, El Mundo reported. The newspaper said it is the most expensive contract ever paid to an athlete. — Agencies

Real lose to Levante in another slip in title race

Barcelona: Thibaut Courtois’ impressive penalty save was not enough to keep an error-prone Real Madrid from stumbling again in their Spanish league title defense. Madrid lost 2-1 at home to Levante in a match that the defending champions played with 10 men from the eighth minute when defender Eder Militao was sent off. Second-placed Madrid’s first loss in 10 rounds left them seven points adrift of leaders Atletico Madrid. AP



Be the first to comment on "Barcelona to sue newspaper for outing Messi’s € 555m contract"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: