Washington, December 5
Reversing the decision of the outgoing Trump administration, a US federal court has ordered full reinstatement of an Obama-era programme that protects undocumented immigrants brought to the country as minors from deportation, a ruling that will help a large number of Indian migrants.
The Trump administration tried ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) in 2017, but the US Supreme Court blocked the attempt in June.
On Friday, US District Judge Nicholas Garaufis in the Eastern District of New York directed the Department of Homeland Security to extend renewals to DACA recipients by two years and start accepting applications from first-time applicants from Monday.
6.4 lakh immigrants enrolled in DACA programme
6.3 lakh undocumented Indians
2,550 active Indian DACA recipients
This means first time since September 2017, new applicants who were not previously eligible may now apply for the programme that shield undocumented immigrants, who came to the US as children, from deportation.
“The court believes these additional remedies are reasonable. Indeed, the government has assured the court that a public notice along the lines described is forthcoming,” Judge Garaufis said in his order.
There are currently at least 4,300 active South Asian DACA recipients. As of August 2018, there are over 2,550 active Indian DACA recipients. Only 13 per cent of the overall 20,000 DACA eligible Indians
have applied and received DACA, the SAALT said.
There are 1,300 active Pakistani DACA recipients, 470 Bangladeshi, 120 Sri Lankan, and 60 Nepali, it said.
The Trump administration can now appeal to a federal appeals court or go to the Supreme Court for temporary relief from the enforcement of the judge’s order. — PTI