Tribune News Service
New Delhi, January 25
Almost nine months into a military stand-off, India and China have agreed to push for an “early disengagement of the frontline troops” from the LAC in eastern Ladakh.
Face-off at Naku La in Sikkim 5 days ago
- Indian and Chinese troops clashed on January 20 near Naku La in Sikkim
- The Army said there was a minor face-off and the issue was resolved by local commanders as per protocols
- In April last year too, a clash had ensued in the area, leading to injuries on both sides
A joint statement on Monday said: “The two sides agreed that this round of meeting was positive, practical and constructive, which further enhanced mutual trust and understanding. The two sides agreed to push for an early disengagement of the frontline troops.”
The statement emerges after a marathon 16-hour meeting between senior military commanders of India and China which started around 10 am on January 24 and ended at 2.30 am on Monday. The meeting was at the Chinese Garrison of Moldo, opposite the Chushul sector.
The two sides agreed to continue their effective efforts in ensuring the restraint of frontline troops, stabilise and control the situation along the LAC in the Western Sector of the China-India border and jointly maintain peace and tranquility, the statement said.
The talks, the first since November 6, were candid and in-depth exchange of views on disengagement along the LAC. The two sides also agreed to follow consensus of their state leaders, maintain good momentum of dialogue and negotiation, and hold the 10th round of Corps Commander-level meeting at an early date.