Hospital fireplace: Brave attendant saves three aged sufferers


Ahmedabad, August 6

A 25-year-old attendant confirmed presence of thoughts and unflinching braveness as he saved the lives of three aged sufferers from a raging fireplace that broke out early on Thursday at an Ahmedabad-based hospital, the place he works.

Eight different sufferers – 5 males and three girls – who had been being handled on the ICU ward of the COVID-19 designated Shrey Hospital in Navrangpura space of the town, died within the blaze, fireplace brigade officers mentioned.

The fireplace broke out round 3.30 am on the fourth ground of the four-storey facility, which is likely one of the 60-odd personal hospitals authorised by the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) to deal with coronavirus sufferers.

When the fireplace broke out, there have been 11 sufferers on the fourth ground.

According to police, a particular ICU chamber was created on the fourth ground for essential COVID-19 sufferers.

Hospital attendant Chirag Patel, who risked his personal life and saved three aged sufferers from the blaze, mentioned the fireplace was first noticed by one other attendant on the fourth ground round Three am.

“When I went to the fourth floor I saw flames coming out from a monitor of some medical equipment near a patient’s bed. Soon, that patient’s hair caught fire. I doused it immediately,” Patel instructed reporters after giving his assertion to the police.

Also learn: Fire at Ahmedabad Covid hospital leaves eight sufferers useless

“Just as I pulled the mattress away from the monitor, one other attendant’s PPE go well with caught fireplace. Luckily, a physician got here upstairs with a bucket of water and poured it on the attendant and saved him.

“Suddenly, there was a blast inside the ICU ward. Though we went up again to rescue patients, it was not possible to go inside due to thick smoke and extremely low visibility,” he added.

According to Patel, since different attendants and docs had been feeling uneasy as a result of smoke, he determined to remain there and ask others to go downstairs for their very own security.

Meanwhile, the hospital workers alerted the fireplace brigade.

Patel added that there have been 11 sufferers on the fourth ground at the moment and their rescue was a tough activity.

“I was the only one left on the fourth floor and I decided to save as many as possible. I first lifted an elderly woman patient, who could not walk, in my arms and took her downstairs,” he mentioned.

Patel returned to the spot others at the same time as thick smoke had engulfed the realm. He helped one other aged lady, who had fallen down and couldn’t stroll, in climbing down safely together with a male affected person.

“Since the smoke was getting very dense and my oxygen level was dropping, I couldn’t go inside again. I then climbed the fourth floor using outside pipes and tried to rescue the patients from windows, but couldn’t break them,” he claimed.

“I am glad that I was able to save three critical patients. For me, a patient’s life is more important than my own life,” mentioned the attendant.

Ravindra Patel, DCP Zone 1, mentioned that the police had recorded the statements of the hospital workers as a part of the probe.

“We also recorded the statement of the attendant, who said he has saved the lives of three elderly patients,” mentioned the official. PTI



Be the first to comment on "Hospital fireplace: Brave attendant saves three aged sufferers"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: