Centre comes underneath hearth from Opposition over Covid ‘mismanagement’


Ravi S Singh

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, September 16

The Union Government on Wednesday got here underneath hearth from the Opposition within the Rajya Saba for its alleged mishandling of the COVID-19 scenario, together with asserting of sudden lockdown which exacerbated the issue.

During the dialogue on Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan’s assertion on the pandemic and motion taken by the federal government, Opposition events criticised the Centre for turning its again on the financially beleaguered state governments to fend for themselves in coping with the nationwide well being emergency.

They registered their protest on the Centre not clearing the dues to the states, together with the GST compensation.  

The BJD, which regularly sides with the federal government in Parliament, chimed with Opposition benches.

The dialogue will conclude on Thursday, adopted by the reply from the federal government.

Anand Sharma of the Congress, who opened the ball, set the tone of criticism towards the federal government.

“Prime Minister made a sudden announcement of the lockdown. Was it fruitful?” requested Sharma.

He stated that had pre-announcement consultations held, states would have made prior preparations like quarantine amenities and different logistics. 

The exodus of hapless migrant labourers trudging long-distances again dwelling from cities portrayed a unfavourable picture of India, stated Sharma as he demanded compensation for the employees who died underneath duress of the pandemic.

Expressing concern at authorities’s stand that it didn’t have a document of the variety of deaths, Sharma demanded preparation of a data-base of migrant employees.

He urged bolstering of public well being infrastructure which was uncovered through the lockdown days.

The authorities hospitals within the nation accounted for 30 per cent of oxygen-fitted beds, whereas the non-public hospital accounted for the remainder. “But government hospitals handled 70 per cent of the cases.”

Sharma additionally contested authorities’s claims that the mortality fee was lowest in India, saying neighbouring nations like Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka fared higher.

Appreciating the position of healthcare employees, he requested the federal government for motion towards the overseas journal which slandered hydroxychloroquine drug which was manufactured in bulk in India at a low value. 

A nominated member and BJP chief Swapan Dasgupta urged the federal government to clear the mist relating to the information associated to the illness, sufferers, and so forth.

“You are under-reporting Covid cases,” stated Tiruchi Siva of the DMK.

Derek O’Brien of the TMC stated the federal government was busy welcoming the USA President Donald Trump at the price of taking note of the pandemic.

The authorities’s engagement with Trump’s go to was essential chorus of the opposite Opposition members.



Be the first to comment on "Centre comes underneath hearth from Opposition over Covid ‘mismanagement’"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: