Average 381 suicides every day in India in 2019; 50 laptop instances from simply 5 states: NCRB


New Delhi, September 1

India reported a median 381 deaths by suicide every day in 2019, totalling 1,39,123 fatalities over the 12 months, in keeping with the most recent National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) knowledge.

A 3.four per cent enhance was noticed in suicides throughout 2019 (1,39,123 suicides) as in comparison with 2018 (1,34,516) and 2017 (1,29,887), the info confirmed.

The charge of suicide (incidents per 1 lakh inhabitants) rose by 0.2 per cent in 2019 over 2018, as per the info.

According to the statistics by the NCRB, which features below the Union Home Ministry, the suicide charge in cities (13.9 per cent) was larger as in comparison with all-India suicide charge (10.four per cent) in 2019.

Suicide by ‘hanging’ (53.6 per cent), ‘consuming poison’ (25.eight per cent), ‘drowning’ (5.2 per cent) and ‘self-immolation’ (3.eight per cent) have been the outstanding technique of committing suicides throughout the 12 months, the info confirmed.

Family issues (apart from marriage-related points) have been behind 32.four per cent of suicides, marriage-related issues (5.5 per cent) and sickness (17.1 per cent) collectively accounted for 55 per cent of the whole suicides within the nation throughout 2019, it said.

For each 100 suicide deaths, 70.2 have been male and 29.eight females, the NCRB, which collects knowledge from police recorded instances, said.

Nearly 68.four per cent of the male victims have been married, whereas the ratio was 62.5 per cent for feminine victims, the info confirmed.

Majority of suicides have been reported in Maharashtra (18,916), adopted by 13,493 in Tamil Nadu, 12,665 in West Bengal, 12,457 in Madhya Pradesh and 11,288 in Karnataka, accounting for 13.6 per cent, 9.7 per cent, 9.1 per cent, 9 per cent and eight.1 per cent of whole such deaths, respectively.

These 5 states collectively accounted for 49.5 per cent of the whole suicides reported within the nation and the remaining 50.5 per cent suicides have been reported within the remaining 24 states and seven UTs, the info confirmed.

Uttar Pradesh, probably the most populous state, reported comparatively decrease proportion share of suicidal deaths, accounting for under 3.9 per cent of the whole suicides within the nation, it added.

Highest instances of mass or household suicide have been reported from Tamil Nadu (16) adopted by Andhra Pradesh (14), Kerala (11), Punjab (9) and Rajasthan (7), the NCRB knowledge confirmed.

In phrases of schooling, 12.6 per cent victims of suicide have been illiterate, 16.Three per cent as much as main stage, 19.6 per cent as much as center stage and 23.Three per cent as much as matric stage.

Only 3.7 per cent of whole suicide victims have been graduates and above, it confirmed.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) states that suicide is a severe public “health problem” and is “preventable” with well timed, evidence-based and sometimes low-cost interventions. PTI

 



Be the first to comment on "Average 381 suicides every day in India in 2019; 50 laptop instances from simply 5 states: NCRB"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: