Tribune News Service
New Delhi, July 29
The authorities immediately authorised landmark reforms to highschool and faculty schooling to organize Indian college students for a 21st century world the place crucial pondering will decide the way forward for nations.
The National Policy on Education (NPE)-2020 authorised by the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi replaces a 34-year-old coverage and bids farewell to rote studying. The focus is on new curricular buildings to inculcate scientific mood and mathematical pondering in college students; enable a number of entry and exit throughout greater schooling ranges; set up a single greater schooling regulator changing UGC, AICTE and NCTE; cap charges in faculties and universities; increase faculty schooling to cowl Three to 6-year-olds; and finish inflexible separation of arts-science and curricular and extracurricular streams at college.
A serious determination is also to rename HRD Ministry because the Ministry of Education.
The NPE-2020 makes faculty schooling obligatory from Three years by means of “early childhood care and education” (ECCE) part for which the NCERT will draft a play-based curriculum. Children aged Three to six years are at the moment coated by casual anganwaris beneath the Women and Child Development Ministry.
The new coverage replaces 10+2 curricular construction with 5+3+3+Four system equivalent to ages 3-8, 8-11, 11-14, and 14-18 years, respectively.
“Three years of pre-primary (covering 3 to 6-year-old) will have an NCERT play- based curriculum focused on foundational literacy; classes 6 to 8 will see subject introduction with multi-disciplinary approach; in classes 9 to 12 there will be no separations between arts and sciences or curricular and extracurricular activities, vocational or academic streams, as we see today. Students can study physics with fashion designing and baking with chemistry. There will be full flexibility,” Secretary, School Education, Anita Karwal mentioned, including that the curriculum shall be restricted to important ideas in order that youngsters have the time to assume and be taught. Here the curricular construction is normal on the western mannequin of play-based artistic studying.
NPE 2020 additionally introduces coding and vocational programs from Grade 6 at college to make sure every scholar would have learnt one vocational ability by the point he leaves faculty. “The new school curriculum and teacher training curriculum will be drafted and the focus would be scientific temper and mathematical thinking,” Karwal mentioned. Students may also have the choice of self-assessment in a brand new report card scheme the NPE 2020 supplies.
In an formidable objective, NPE 2020 seeks to increase entry to greater schooling for 50 per cent of highschool college students by 2035 as in opposition to 26.Three computer in 2018.
It permits a number of entry and exits throughout faculty by means of educational credit score banks. This means if a scholar desires to choose out of faculty after two years of research he can achieve this and when he returns inside a selected time to renew research, he gained’t have to repeat the earlier two years.
HRD is now edu ministry
- National Research Foundation on traces of US National Science Foundation
- Single regulator for greater establishments; a number of entry, exit choices in diploma programs
- MPhil discontinued; low-stakes board exams
- Common entrance exams for varsities, faculties
- Regional language medium of instruction as much as Class V
- e-courses in Eight languages
- Public funding to be raised from 4.43 to six computer GDP
- 5+3+3+Four faculty curriculum to interchange 10+2 system
- Formal education for youths aged Three to six; foundational stage (3-Eight 12 months olds) to have play-based studying
- Preparatory stage (8-11 years) will see experiential studying
- Middle stage (11-14 years) to see subject-oriented studying
- Secondary stage (14-18 12 months olds) can have no separation of streams
- Coding and vocational programs from Class VI