US watchdog: Taliban assaults elevated in Kabul


Kabul, February 1

Taliban attacks in the Afghan capital of Kabul are on the rise, with increasing targeted killings of government officials, civil-society leaders and journalists, a report by a US watchdog said Monday.

It comes as the Biden administration plans to take a new look at the peace agreement between the US and the Taliban signed last February under President Donald Trump.

The report said Taliban-initiated attacks across Afghanistan during the last quarter of 2020 were slightly lower than in the previous quarter but exceeded those of the same period in 2019, according to numbers provided by the US forces in Afghanistan.

“Enemy attacks in Kabul were higher than during the previous quarter,” the report quoted US forces, adding: “They were much higher than in the same quarter last year.”

The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, known as SIGAR, monitors the billions of dollars the US spends in war-ravaged Afghanistan.

The Taliban unleashed a wave of attacks in Afghanistan in December, including strikes in northern Baghlan and southern Uruzgan provinces over a two-day period that killed at least 19 members of the Afghan security forces.

In Kabul, a roadside bomb struck a vehicle, wounding two, and a lawyer was shot in a targeted killing.

Resolute Support, the NATO-led mission in Afghanistan, reported 2,586 civilian casualties from October 1 to December 31, 2020, including 810 killed and 1,776 wounded, according to the SIGAR report.

The report said the proportion of casualties caused by improvised explosive devices increased by nearly 17 per cent in this quarter, correlating with an increase in magnetically attached IEDs or “sticky bomb” attacks, the report said.

Despite the ongoing violence, casualties across Afghanistan in the last quarter of 2020 decreased by 14 per cent, compared to the previous quarter.

The quarter saw an exceptionally high number of casualties for the winter months, however, when fighting normally subsides.

The US has been the prime backer of the Afghan government since it invaded the country soon after the September 11, 2001 attacks and overthrew the Taliban, who were running the country and harbouring al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

The US is still spending about $4 billion a year to assist Afghan security forces.

The US military said earlier this month that it had met its goal of reducing the number of troops in Afghanistan to about 2,500.

Senior US commanders are sceptical of the Taliban’s stated commitment to peace, though they have said they can accomplish their mission in Afghanistan at that troop level.

“As the footprint of US agencies continues to shrink, it will become more important that the US and other donors perform aggressive and effective oversight of its dollars and programs,” said Special Inspector General for Afghan Reconstruction John F Sopko.

According to the World Ban, corruption is rampant among Afghan government ministries, driving a wedge between the government and much of the population, frustrating international donors, and contributing to a poverty level in the country of more than 72 per cent.

Also, recent international aid agency reports said more than half of Afghans were in dire need of assistance just to survive 2021.

“The relentless corruption has alienated most Afghans caught between a war and relentless poverty, despite billions of dollars in international aid. By the end of 2020, Afghanistan’s unemployment rate was projected to rise to 37.9 per cent, up from 23.9 per cent in 2019,” said the report.

Taliban representatives and the Afghan government earlier this month resumed peace talks in Qatar, the Gulf Arab state where the insurgents maintain an office.

The stop-and-go talks are aimed at ending decades of conflict but frustration and fear have grown over the recent spike in violence, and both sides blame one another.

The US airstrikes increased in the last quarter of 2020 as US forces provided defensive support to Afghan security forces, according to the US military.

It reiterated that since the signing of the US-Taliban deal, US forces have ceased offensive strikes against the Taliban.

The White House said President Joe Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, told his Afghan counterpart in a phone call last week that the new administration would “review” the February agreement between the US and the Taliban.

Pentagon chief spokesman John Kirby said last week that the US stood by its commitment under the deal for a full troop withdrawal but the agreement also called for the Taliban to cut ties with al-Qaida and reduce violence.

The authorised goal strength of Afghan defence forces had been adjusted downward to 2,08,000 personnel, the SIGAR report said. It had been roughly 2,27,000 for many years.

Afghan special forces conducted the highest number of ground operations in the last quarter of 2020 in more than a year, NATO said.

The 1,152 ground operations were nearly double the number conducted during the same period last year, reflecting a 4 per cent increase compared to the previous quarter. AP



Be the first to comment on "US watchdog: Taliban assaults elevated in Kabul"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: