St Louis officer dies after being shot in head by gunman

St Louis (US), August 31

A St Louis police officer who was shot within the head whereas responding to a taking pictures on town’s south facet died on Sunday, authorities mentioned.

Tamarris L Bohannon, 29, had been with the division for three ½ years. A second officer who was shot within the leg was handled and launched after the taking pictures round 6 pm within the South Grand neighbourhood close to Tower Grove Park, St Louis Police Department spokeswoman Officer Michelle Woodling mentioned.

Woodling mentioned the second officer is 30 and has been on the pressure about six months. The 43-year-old suspect was taken into custody on Sunday morning, Woodling mentioned.

Mayor Lyda Krewson launched an announcement saying she was “heartbroken” at Bohannon’s dying. She mentioned Bohannon’s household are “immensely proud of the way he selflessly served and protected our community with distinction and honor for more than three years.”                

“This is a horrific reminder of the dangers our brave men and women willingly face everyday to keep us safe,” Krewson mentioned in her assertion on Sunday. “… This is a terrible, senseless tragedy.”             

St Louis Metropolitan Police Department Chief John Hayden mentioned the gunman ordered a household out of their house at gunpoint and barricaded himself inside for nearly 12 hours.

Officers had been looking for one other reported taking pictures sufferer when the gunman shot Bohannon within the head and the opposite officer within the leg, Hayden mentioned.

The officers had been “trying to do their job, that’s all they’re trying to do and they’re suffering under gunfire,” Hayden mentioned, including that the incidents are a part of “a surge in violence” this summer season.

He requested residents to hope for the officers.

Hayden mentioned eight of his officers have been shot within the line of responsibility since June 1.

“We’re trying to cope through a very trying summer, and it’s very difficult. It’s very difficult,” he mentioned.

While the person was barricaded inside, officers armed with rifles and a SWAT workforce assembled outdoors. Police closed surrounding streets and warned residents to remain inside. Police used a bullhorn to order the suspect out and fired tear fuel into the home, however fired no gunshots, the division mentioned.

The man was taken into custody round 5:30 am. Police have launched no particulars about how the standoff got here to an finish.

Homeowners Mimi and Steve Haag mentioned they had been attempting to name 911 to assist one other man who had been shot when the gunman simply walked into their house.

“I saw then he had a gun,” Steve Haag advised the St Louis Post-Dispatch. “He was very calm standing there with it in his hand and he just says to Mimi: ‘Ma’am you need to get off the phone.’” The Haags escaped by way of the again door and had been unharmed of their encounter with the gunman. Police had been unable to find the opposite man who was apparently shot and wounded.

Krewson tweeted her condolences following the incident.

“Please keep our injured officers and all the men and women of @SLMPD in your thoughts and prayers as this situation continues to develop. Their friends, family and loved ones, too,” Krewson mentioned.

Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner, who has a fractious relationship with town’s police, additionally issued an announcement of help.

“We extend our deepest concern and sadness surrounding today’s unfortunate events,” Gardner advised KDSK-TV. “I want to extend my prayers for the injured SLMPD officers and their families.” — AP


Be the first to comment on "St Louis officer dies after being shot in head by gunman"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


%d bloggers like this: