Sydney, March 21
Australia’s most populous state of New South Wales on Sunday issued more evacuation orders following the worst flooding in decades.
The New South Wales State Emergency Services responded to 640 calls for help on Saturday night, including 66 for flood rescues. New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian said hundreds had been rescued. Evacuation orders have been issued at multiple locations on the Mid North Coast, which Berejiklian said was experiencing a one-in-a-100-year event, and “whilst we don’t think things will worsen on the Mid North Coast, definitely conditions will continue, so the rainfall will continue across the parts that have already been affected.” Berejiklian said parts of Western Sydney were being hit by a one-in-50-year weather event. — AP