China pays again, takes over US consulate in Chengdu


Beijing/Chengdu, July 27

China on Monday stated it took management of the US consulate in Chengdu after it was formally closed as per Beijing’s directive in retaliation to America’s transfer to close down the Chinese diplomatic mission in Houston.

“At 10am July 27, as required by the Chinese side, the US Consulate General in Chengdu was closed,” a press launch by Chinese Foreign Ministry stated on Monday. Chengdu is the capital of southwest China’s Sichuan province.

“China’s competent authorities then entered through the front entrance and took over the premises,” it stated.

The American flag over the constructing was lowered at daybreak, in response to Chinese state-run broadcaster CCTV, and onlookers have been moved again as a heavy police presence surrounded the consulate, which Beijing ordered to close on Friday in a tit-for-tat transfer.

Last week, the US authorities ordered the closure of China’s consulate in Houston, Texas, claiming the mission had been concerned in a bigger Chinese espionage effort utilizing diplomatic services across the US.

The US State Department in a press release on Monday expressed disappointment over the closure, saying the consulate “has stood at the centre of our relations with the people in Western China, including Tibet, for 35 years.” “We are disappointed by the Chinese Communist Party’s decision and will strive to continue our outreach to the people in this important region through our other posts in China,” the assertion stated.

Strict visitors controls have been put in place across the US consulate premises earlier than the closure.

Shortly earlier than 11 am, a number of vehicles, a white ambulance, and dozens of Chinese staff have been seen leaving the Chengdu Consulate as dozens of individuals lingered close by, the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported.

Several facet streets, in addition to a predominant highway resulting in the consulate have been blocked, with dozens of policemen guarding the intersections.

Cranes hoisted containers inside the primary entrance of the US Consulate, whereas crowds gathered to witness the “historic” second, taking images and recording movies, state-run Global Times reported.

Since Saturday, folks and automobiles have been steadily seen going out and in of the consulate and locals have quietly gathered behind the police cordon in entrance of the primary gate of the Consulate. — PTI


Simmering rigidity

  • July 9 US imposes visa and asset restrictions on Chinese officers linked to rights abuses within the Xinjiang area
  • July 13 China imposes sanctions on 4American lawmakers
  • July 13 Washington says Beijing has no authorized grounds for many of its maritime claims within the South China Sea
  • July 14 Beijing says it would sanction Lockheed Martin for its involvement within the newest US arms sale to Chinese-claimed Taiwan
  • July 25 Authorities shut Chinese consulate in Houston
  • July 27 Beijing takes over US mission in Chengdu



Be the first to comment on "China pays again, takes over US consulate in Chengdu"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*


%d bloggers like this: