Some 4,000 people watched singers Dua Lipa and Arlo Parks triumph as well as perform at the BRIT Awards on Tuesday, in the first major indoor music event with a live audience held in London in over a year.
Britain’s pop music honours, for which the audience did not have to wear masks or socially distance, took place at the O2 arena on the River Thames as the country emerges from Covid-19 lockdown.
The ceremony, during which Billie Eilish and The Weeknd were also winners, is part of the British government’s Events Research Programme aimed at establishing whether big events can be held in closed environments.
Lipa, who won two awards – female solo artist and album for Future Nostalgia, said she was dedicating her performance to key workers. American songstress Taylor Swift became the first female artist to be honoured with the Global Icon award. Harry Styles won British single for Watermelon Sugar, while Little Mix became the first female band to win British group. —Reuters
The 2021 BRIT Awards, Britain’s pop music honours, were held in London on Tuesday.
Here is the list of the winners at the ceremony.
- ALBUM: Dua Lipa, Future Nostalgia
- BRITISH SINGLE: Harry Styles, Watermelon Sugar
- FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Dua Lipa
- MALE SOLO ARTIST: J Hus
- BRITISH GROUP: Little Mix
- INTERNATIONAL FEMALE SOLO ARTIST: Billie Eilish
- INTERNATIONAL MALE SOLO ARTIST: The Weeknd
- INTERNATIONAL GROUP: Haim
- BREAKTHROUGH ARTIST: Arlo Parks
- RISING STAR: Griff
- GLOBAL ICON: Taylor Swift