- Do you think comedy is easy?
It is very difficult to do comedy and even more difficult to get the comic timing right. If someone’s sense of humour is good that doesn’t mean that the person can do comedy. Anyone can have a good sense of humour, but being a good comedian needs a lot of hard work and research.
- What do you think of the comedy content in India?
There was a time when Mehmood sahab, Asrani sahab and Jagdeep ji ruled the Indian entertainment industry. Then we had comedians like Johnny Lever and Rajpal Yadav, who did some amazing work on screen. But I feel these days comedy is being incorporated in the stories, so rather than comedians doing it, you have actors performing comedy.
- Which one do you prefer the most — TV, web or films?
Web series gives a lot of freedom to a performer, but nothing can beat movies. I enjoy doing films more.
- What type of roles would you like to do?
I would love to do a negative character with some comical nuances.
- Which character of yours do you relate to the most?
Anokhe Lal Saxena from Bhabiji Ghar Par Hain is the most relatable character I have played. I feel in real life too there is madness and that connects me to this character.
- Share your views on television shows…
I love to watch shows like The Kapil Sharma Show, Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah and Bhabiji Ghar Par Hain. But overall I feel we don’t have good shows on TV. I feel people have run out of ideas.
- You are shooting in Chandigarh for Dinesh Vijan’s next. How has been the experience?
I was surprised to see Chandigarh. Now I know why it is called the most planned city. The locations are too good. The people are very warm and cordial. The management is also very cooperative.